A checklist of potentially harmful plants

Information sheet

Use this list to ensure your school garden is a safe place for everyone.

  • School term: All year round
  • Level of experience: No experience needed
  • Subject(s):

Follow these simple rules when gardening;

  • Don't eat ornamental plants. They are very beautiful- but not meant to be eaten!
  • Teach children not to play with or eat growing plants
  • Use gloves when pruning or weeding and keep skin covered
  • Do not leave prunings or uprooted plants in reach of farm animals or pets
  • Check plant labels for toxicity warnings, or research them before you buy or use it in your garden

What are the hazards?

Common hazards associated with plants can be caused by either ingestion or contact.

Ingestion hazard

  • Children are mostly at risk
  • Some plants may cause digestive upset or discomfort if eaten
  • A small number of common plants are more toxic and could cause severe poisoning (see link below)

Contact hazard

  • Irritant sap may cause a burning sensation and sometimes blistering of skin. Anyone can be affected if the exposure is sufficient.
  • Some plants contain chemicals called allergens. These do not affect everyone, but some individuals may aquire sensitivity to them resulting in an allergic reaction.
  • A very small number of plants have sap which renders the skin excessively sensitive to strong sunlight. This can result in severe localised sunburn with blistering and long lasting skin discolouration.

To see a full list of harmful plants click here



What to do if someone has ingested or had skin contact with a hazardous plant

If you think a person has eaten part of a doubtful plant, seek medical advice immediately from a hospital accident & emergency department.

Take a sample of the plant with you

Do not panic and DO NOT try to make the person sick

We've won awards!

Winner of the Drum Marketing Awards 2017
Winner of the ERA 2017 awards
Winner of the Third Sector 2017 awards